Monday, January 11, 2010

Interview by Times Educational Supplement

Today around noon I received a phone call from Dave Matthews from the Times Educational Supplement (TES). At first I thought I would be asked about Leeds Met and the changes it had gone through the past year, and I was not really prepared to talk about that. But fortunately, the topic of conversation was "Augmented Reality (AR)". The interviewer wants to write a column in the TES in the next days or so. I was asked about the history of AR, and I mentioned the AR work of Boeing in the early 1990s. Furthermore, I could recall that the first prototypes of mobile AR applications were presented at ISMAR sometime in 2002 or 2003; I remember seeing one of those handheld Compaq iPAQs with a camera and a graphical overlay of kitchen furniture. I was not sure when the first AR app on the iPhone came out... but AR has only made it into the mainstream awareness during the past year.

I will keep my eyes open for the article in the TES.

No comments: