Friday, December 4, 2009

Talk at St. Aidan's Church of England High School, Harrogate


On 3.December I was invited by Marian Farrar, Business Liaison Officer of the St. Aidan's C of E High School in Harrogate, to give a talk about a Science and Technology topic suitable for the 6th form. I chose the topic "Towards Artificial Intelligence – How Computers 'See' the World". First I introduced the general concept of imaging, illustrating how artists during the Renaissance period discovered the perspective mapping and used it in their paintings. Computer vision basically needs to invert the mapping equation, to recover the 3D space around the camera from 2D image series. This is done by feature detection and tracking, employs image processing methods on the digitised image sequences. As a result, computer vision is able to extract enough information from the visual sensors for performing specific tasks. To illustrate this, I showed videos of cars performing automatic driving, and I talked about my contribution to visual road recognition and the US DARPA Grand Challenge. The students were very attentive, and I hope that I was able to stimulate an interest in this very important technology of Computer Vision which will have a significant impact in the next few decades.

No comments: